All to often as I write blogs about choices I found myself feel sad at the outcome. Yet, I know from personal experience (prison in my case) that negative outcomes can be transformed into positive results. Our choices determine out outcomes.
As reported by the Associated Press – Britney Spears found her life taking another less than positive turn as she lost custody of her two sons to her ex-husband Kevin Federline. The court awarded sole custody to Federline and suspended Spears visitation rights.
The Associated Press reports:
Spears was hauled away from her home to a hospital by paramedics a day before, after police had to intervene when she refused to return the children to Federline after a court-monitored visit.
Federline had previously been awarded temporary custody of 2-year-old Sean Preston and 1-year-old Jayden James because Spears has defied court orders, resulting in limitations on her visitation.
“I’m not happy about any of these events,” Federline attorney Mark Vincent Kaplan said when he left a closed-door emergency hearing Friday afternoon. “There’s no winners here.”
Law professor Steve Cron, who is not involved in the Spears-Federline matter, predicted Spears will face sanctions from the court for her behavior.
“My guess is that she won’t be seeing her kids for a while,” said Cron, who teaches at Pepperdine University in Malibu.
Gordon has little option other than to further reduce the time Spears can legally spend with her children, Cron said, “at least for the time being until she gets some help. She’s obviously a very troubled person.”
Here’s some Britney background:
- Britney Spears has sold more than 76,000,000 records world wide
- October 1998 Britney releases “Baby One More Time” and becomes an instant 17 year old superstar.
- In April 1999 Britney appears on the cover of Rolling Stone wearing a bra and hot pants.
- September 2000 Britney performs the Rolling Stones classic, “Satisfaction” stripping down to a skin colored bikini top and matching pants.
- In 2001 Britney signs a lucrative endorsement with Pepsi.
- Both on The New Mickey Mouse Club, Britney dated Justin Timberlake for three years before she announced their breakup in 2002.
- At the Video Music Awards Britney makes out with Madonna to create another show stopping moment.
- Married in 2004 to Jason Alexander, the marriage was annulled some 55 hours later. Within 9 months Britney is married again – this time to Kevin Federline.
- On September 14, 2005 Britney gives birth to her first child – Sean Preston Federline.
- In 2006 Britney is questioned regarding how she is rearing her infant son.
- In late 2006 Britney files for divorce after giving birth to another son, Jayden James Federline.
- February 22, 2007 Britney checks into a rehabilitation center for substance abuse – she shock the press as she entered with a bald head. A month later she checks out after completing a 30 day program.
- September 9, 2007 Britney returns to the stage at the Video Music Awards. Her performance was judged by most to be less than her best and/or what was expected.
- A Superior Court Judge rules that Britney must undergo random drug tests as part of her child custody case.
- September 21, 2007 Britney is charged with misdemeanor hit-and-run driving without a license – she is booked on the charges on October 15, 2007 when she turned herself in.
- October 1, 2007 – Spears is ordered to give us custody of her two sons. Their father – Federline – will keep them till further order of the court.
While I cannot begin to understand the pressure someone like Britney Spears is under, the fact is every choice has a consequence. For now, all parties to this tragedy are suffering. Britney has created already a legacy for her children – something that will make their lives difficult to say the least. Federline is likely in a situation that he never expected. And, not least, Britney has spiraled out of control as we can watch her personal life deteriorate.
With all that seems lost here. Choices always create consequences and it is never too late to make better choices. Perhaps, the issues surrounding her children will awaken Britney to reality…her choices now create her future later.
Having been to the bottom before I could fully grasp the concept of choices and consequences…I wish Britney the best knowing that anyone who wants to can turn their life around.
Motivational Speaker Chuck Gallagher signing off…